[Cryptography] Yahoo is sued for gross negligence over huge hacking

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Sun Sep 25 08:25:47 EDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 05:56:40PM -0400, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
> > Yahoo is sued for gross negligence over huge hacking
> >
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-cyber-lawsuit-idUSKCN11T2LF
>
> Perhaps not; my attorney told me (maybe about 5 years ago or so) that
> in the state of
> Ohio at least, you cannot "waive tort", especially in the case of
> negligence. I suspect that

IANAL too, but suspect greedy lawyers will claim "it isn't negligence,
it is deity hackers hacked us, what could we do".
IMHO all of the IT industry will kick the bucket if they pay for damages
-- check the advisories, botnets and devices that are never patched.

> I think Yahoo's bigger problem is what is this going to do with their
> pending acquisition plans
> by Verizon? It wouldn't surprise me if Verizon backs out of the deal

Trying to decrease yahoo's value this way is certainly possible.