[Cryptography] [Crypto-practicum] An historical document.

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 11 09:25:00 EDT 2016

At 09:35 PM 9/10/2016, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>There you have it my friends.  That's the US Government first
>noticing the possibility of using automatic machinery for
>cryptanalysis.  1937.  Just two years later WWII would break
>out and make it really really important to have noticed that.
>
>It was declassified and approved for release by the NSA on
>September 18 2013, pursuant to Executive Order 13526.

If I have my dates correct, Turing was already in the U.S.
in 1936, and was already becoming interested in codes.

Now whether he heard about this possibility from the news,
or whether he heard about this possibility from more private
sources, or whether the idea went the other direction I
don't know.

But it is possible that Turing may have seen this news and
taken it to heart.