[Cryptography] New approach needed to IT, says NIST's top cyber scientist

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Sep 8 23:06:46 EDT 2016

On 09/08/2016 09:29 PM, peter.thoenen at yahoo.com wrote:
>> Story from the very belt-way sounding "fedscoop":
>> http://fedscoop.com/ron-ross-cybersecurity-comission-august-2016
> Yawn.  Given Ron's own office drives Federal IT (and IT security) via statutory authority under FISMA via FIPS (and their corresponding subordinate SP's) Ron can get back to me when he fixes his own house.

But he might be an ally. What if, through a stroke of lightning, *you*
suddenly got an important job a NIST, how quickly do you want to get
fired or suffer a general mutiny? What if you decided to enlist some
external help to turn the tide? Maybe it would be nice if someone
offered some help.

I don't know the man, but from the story I read, he might be a good guy,
maybe he thinks being screwed by the NSA on the RNG was a bad thing,
too. I don't know, but I am inclined to give him a benefit of the the
doubt.

What if we did happen upon a good guy, what should we do?

-kb