[Cryptography] Secure erasure in C.

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Sep 8 06:38:00 EDT 2016

For the general case, I think you have to look for this as a platform
supported capability. There is nothing that an application process can do
to guarantee that data will be correctly erased from cached memory or swap
space.

I run my machines without swap for that reason but most people don't.

On Windows platforms, Microsoft has a library that offers some form of
secure erasure but I haven't used it directly. Instead I rely on the crypto
implementations using it.

Documenting support for similar features in OSX and *nix would be a very
useful community service. It might well be necessary to write them first
:-).