[Cryptography] MATH: Unlikely correctness of paper will break some discrete logarithm over F_p^*

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Fri Sep 2 01:28:31 EDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 09:48:40PM +0000, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Ramanathan != Ramanujan...
>
> At any rate, Andrew Poelstra e-mailed the Curves list about some fatal
> flaws he found in this paper:
> https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/curves/2016/000739.html

Feel free to forward to the other list, possibly CC'ing me.

After some discussion with kristian.gjosteen at math.ntnu.no, I believe
there are critical problems even if the equations are correct.

Their numerical example indeed doesn't agree with b_1 from (13).

The problem appears to be the correct upper bound for \beta_n is pq,
not p. This essentially makes \beta_n free variable in their
congruences, giving solution for all n (the secret exponent).

The paper doesn't mention uniqueness of the linear solution.