[Cryptography] Gaslighting ~= power droop == side channel attack

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Nov 30 14:51:14 EST 2016

At 04:54 PM 11/28/2016, Christian Huitema wrote:
>On Monday, November 28, 2016 5:22 AM, Henry Baker wrote:
>> God forbid we ever get another Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter in the White House;
>> our "smart" thermostats will turn us into the secret energy police for pushing our
>> thermostats above the "recommended" temperature.
>
>Smart power meters could do much more than that. It turns out that various appliances can be recognized through their "power consumption signature".

Of course, some electrical utilities (at least outside the U.S.) are already in the ISP business.  But they have to bypass the last transformer just prior to your home to be able to pass the high frequencies that "broadband" requires.  Of course, anyone who can access these same external wires can tap into these home powerline networks.

http://www.homeplug.org/

Powerline technology uses electrical wiring to transmit digital data.  For the home user, it functions as if every room has reliable, wired connectivity, but there is no need to run Ethernet cables between rooms.  Products based on the HomePlug AV and HomePlug AV2 specifications can can connect devices such as Smart TVs and HD media players to the Internet via a connection to the home router as well as extend the coverage of a Wi-Fi network.

In a typical installation, one adapter is connected to the broadband router, and other HomePlug adapters are plugged in elsewhere in your home to add an Ethernet-class connection anywhere.  All of your HomePlug devices can now communicate with each other and **securely** [!!] pass data around your home.

HomePlug™ Certified products use your home's powerlines - which are already installed - as a path to send high-speed digital data such as digital video and multi-channel audio.  Plus, many HomePlug products combine Wi-Fi wireless networking.  This means that you can extend your wireless network to achieve high performance connectivity anywhere in your home.

As a consumer, you want the products you buy to connect without hassle, while maintaining **privacy**. [!!!]