[Cryptography] cryptography Digest, Vol 36, Issue 29

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Sun May 1 14:12:59 EDT 2016

Subject: [Cryptography] More speculation on cryptographic breakthroughs.
ON 4/30, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote

 >The "major crypto breakthrough" that we keep hearing about, may
 >be just a giant database of audio recordings of people typing
 >passwords.

Few question for thought:

- With most cell phones in pockets, is the audio quality good enough for
this kind of attack?

- Would an effective countermeasure be to enter passwords via less
audible means, such as touchscreens or mice, and picking out buttons on
the screen?

- What if we simply press the keys more slowly to where they don't reach
their maximum stroke and cause much audible output?

- I've wondered about the following:  If the NSA/FBI/etc. capabilities
are as far-reaching as we fear, wouldn't they (FBI in particular) have
the ability to conquer organized crime by now? Wouldn't they pwn any
computer being used inside organized crime in other words?  (Of course
if we're really paranoid, we could speculate that they are not putting
organized crime out of business because it would tip their hand as to
their capabilities...)

Grant Schultz