[Cryptography] On the 'regulation proof' aspect of Bitcoin

Krisztián Pintér pinterkr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:58:03 EDT 2016

i'm not sure this topic belongs to this list, but that's what the
moderators are for :)

Phillip Hallam-Baker (at Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 6:17:02 PM):
> I am getting rather fed up of all these BitCoiners telling me how
> their scheme can't be taken down like the Feds took out Gold Age.

there are two aspects of any policy: 1, what do you need to do, what
steps are neccessary, and 2, what is in your propaganda toolbox, how
can you justify.

all we can do to resist the chokehold of state power is 1, to make it
more difficult for them to do it, and 2, to make fuss, so maybe their
propaganda does not work all that well.

the first is purely technical, and bitcoin does a fairly good job,
although not perfect. it is totally decentralized, and it runs on many
many computers. to ban it, you need to enact very intrusive laws. it
is also roboust, so they can't secretly kill it, as the copyright
industry killed the emule network.

on the downside, bitcoin is too open and to trackable, so punishment
or taxation can be a real threat. should it be more anonymous and more
"dark", such threats would become weightless.

as for making fuss, i see much less options. bitcoin is *not* popular.
stop believing it is. many people sees it as dangerous and mysterious.
the would not miss it at all if its gone.

this game is not over.