[Cryptography] USG Moves to Vacate Apple Decrypt Order

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Mar 29 18:19:26 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 1:52 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> >> USG Moves to Vacate Apple Decrypt Order
> >>
> >> <https://t.co/qkQflTOzru>https://cryptome.org/2016/03/usg-apple-209.pdf
> >
> >Does Apple have to respond? Can they respond? Did they respond? Would we
> know? Is a “Motion to Vacate” the end of this case regardless?
>
> Unless the judge denies the motion to vacate the order, which is
> extremely unlikely, the case is over.  I just checked PACER and
> there's nothing yet since document 209.

One consequences of this is the All Writs Act no longer has leverage on
this specific
physical device make and model.  The DOJ/FBI  has clearly stated that there
is an alternative.  Further
others have apparently discovered a reasonable published cost.

   - The absence of alternative remedies—the act is only applicable when
   other judicial tools are not available.

The cloud data is still game in so much at that data is not encrypted by a
pass code held secret by the
owner of the phone.

The method might be classified but now the FBI, privy to the classified
method can
be compelled to retrieve the data without divulging the method.  The FBI
has data kiosks
and is in the business of dumping digital data from devices of many types
now.
Clearly this is an business or activity the FBI wants to be in.

So crypto still applies.  Application data hidden by application
encryption, cloud storage
and encryption, application communication encryption (PDF, VOIP, https,
ssh, scp, VPN.... ).
Strictly raw image camera files are undocumented and can hide secrets.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l