[Cryptography] USG Moves to Vacate Apple Decrypt Order

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:02:08 EDT 2016

This is also a lost opportunity to set a strong precedent to protect
American privacy.  There was never any doubt that the FBI could get the
data off this phone.  This was simply a power grab by the FBI to use the
terror attack in San Bernardino as an excuse to increased their power
beyond what is safe or reasonable, IMO.  I am glad Apple did the right
thing.  I am sad that the FBI decided to kick the can down the road and
avoid risking setting a precedent that would most likely limit their their
power to invade our privacy.  I expect them to be back, attacking less
principled and/or less wealthy companies, where there is little chance of
strong resistance.  I suspect there are lots of Lavabits out there.  The
unique part about Lavabit is the founder chose doing the right thing over
keeping his successful company alive.  I am sure this is quite rare.

Bill