[Cryptography] On the Impending Crypto Monoculture

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Mar 27 06:06:43 EDT 2016

Thierry Moreau <thierry.moreau at connotech.com> writes:

>With regards to mechanisms, I long wondered why the classical authenticated
>D-H exchange has been ignored in the TLS design (I still wonder somehow after
>I reviewed the question recently).

TLS 1.3 is heavily influenced by what Google wants, in the same way that HTTP
2.0 is really HTTP4Google.  So the design and algorithm choice is heavily
tilted towards serving up web pages quickly.

>What is the basic scheme envisioned for authenticated key establishment in
>the new crypto monoculture?

Whatever does the above most efficiently.  If you've got a ton of time to
kill, look at the debate around TLS 1.3 in the list archives.

Peter.