[Cryptography] On the Impending Crypto Monoculture

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Mar 26 21:01:28 EDT 2016

On 24/03/2016 22:19 pm, Aaron Zauner wrote:

> I've spent considerable amount of time about a year ago figuring out
> the patent situation with 1. Rogaway 2. Jutla (IAPM on which OCB is
> based) and thus IBM. After some deliberation and a few months of
> work we got IPR exeptions from all authors and current (relevant)
> patent holders for use of OCB in TLS (yes, this is TLS restricted,
> but hey - better than nothing. no restrictions which are hard to
> understand or implement effectively).

I'd be really interested in a more precise measurement of the cost of
your analysis of the patent situation.  "A considerable amount of time"
... "some deliberation" ... "a few months of work"

Would it be possible to take your case study and turn it into metrics
like man-months and costs?

Then, we could multiple this across industry.  And come up with a cost
of patents to the world.

iang