[Cryptography] Formal Verification (was Re: Trust & randomness in computer systems)

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Mar 18 08:12:48 EDT 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 22:37:36 -0400 dan at geer.org wrote:
> 2. I see great promise in the Language Theoretic Security effort,
> spearheaded by Sergey Bratus (Dartmouth) and Meredith Patterson
> (Nuance Communications / Upstanding Hackers, Inc.)
>
> langsec.org
> spw16.langsec.org/workshop-program.html

The langsec stuff is really, really important, and anyone who is
involved in security should be aware of what they're doing.

I'll note that it also ties in very nicely to formal verification as
one can formally verify that the program correctly handles the input
languages it is expected to deal with. Even figuring out the theorems
you are trying to prove is often hard in formal verification, and
this work gives us a nice handle on that part.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com