[Cryptography] USG v. Lavabit-Snowden Files Unsealed

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 04:11:40 EDT 2016

Wow, this is scary.  It sounds like Lavabit was fined $5,000 per day until
it handed over the encryption keys for its email service, and that Lavabit
further had a gag order and could say nothing about it.  Here's the text of
this order:

ORDER

This matter comes before the Court on the motion of the government for
sanctions for failure to comply with this Court's order entered August 2,
2013. For the reasons stated in the government's motion, and pursuantto
Title 18, United States Code. Section 401, it is hereby ORDERED that the
motion for sanctions is granted; It isfurther ORDERED that, if the
encryption keys necessary to implement the pen register and trap and trace
device are not provided to the FBI in PEM or equivalent electronic formal
by noon (CDT) on August 5, 2013, a fine of five thousand dollars
($5,000.00) shall be imposed on Lavabit LLC and Mr. Levison; It is further
ORDERED that, if the encryption keys necessary to implement the pen
register and trap and trace device are not provided to the FBI in PEM or
equivalent electronic format by noon (CDT) each day thereafter beginning
August 6, 2013, a fine of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) shall be
imposed on Lavabit LLC and Mr. Levison for each day of noncompliance; and
It is further ORDERED that the government's motion for sanctions and this
Order shall remain under seal until further order of this Court

As an ethical matter, I believe our government should tell its citizens
what form of spying on our private communications it is doing, and under
what conditions.  Seeing our government do this sort of thing in secret
scares the heck out of me.  It is certainly not what I thought would happen
in the USA.

Bill