[Cryptography] EFF amicus brief in support of Apple

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Mar 11 00:46:04 EST 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> It's time we stopped believing that there's something magic about open
> source software.  There's good software and there's bad software, and
> even the best software has bugs.  And beyond bugs, all software can be
> deliberately subverted.  There are no silver bullets, just tons of
> continuing hard work.

There used to be a programming contest - Obfuscated C Code Contest, or
something, wherein you had to insert a deliberate but non-obvious bug.  A
winning entry was a vote-counter, which slewed the counts in favour of one
party, was damned hard to spot.  It was really obscure, involving some
rather tricky "C" (using overloaded macros etc), and after 40 years of
programming even I couldn't spot it...

As I recall, it used tricks like "0" instead of "O", "l" instead of "1",
and so forth.  It was *evil*.

I wonder whether it's in use?  I wish I could find it...