[Cryptography] All applications need top security (was Re: Director GCHQ speaks at MIT)

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Mar 9 11:30:58 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 09:47:20AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > http://www.gchq.gov.uk/press_and_media/speeches/Pages/hannigan-speech-at-mit-front-doors-and-strong-locks.aspx
> >
> > Front doors and strong locks: encryption, privacy and intelligence
> > gathering in the digital era
> >
> > Speech - 08 Mar 2016
> [...]
> > "I don't *need* or *want* [for my family's communications] the same
> > level of security applied to protect a nuclear submarine's
> > communications."
>
> This reminds me of a widely misunderstood principle in secure systems
> that I don't hear talked about much, so I'll bring it up now:
>
> It is seemingly reasonable to say that your discussion with a friend
> about what kind of beer to pick up for a party does not need the same
> level of protection as a dissident discussing an upcoming attempt to
> expose corruption in an election. It is seemingly reasonable to say
> that a connection that is protecting an article about cat food does
> not require the same level of protection as a connection that is
> protecting a large banking transaction.
>
> HOWEVER, the problem is that in practice, both activities will use
> exactly the same protocols and software, identically configured.
[[...]]

+1.

An additional argument in the same direction is that by having the
cat-food-and-baby-pictures traffic protected by the same (strong)
crypto as My Secret Plan for World Domination, the latter no longer
stands out as obviously different from the large mass of
cat-food-and-baby-pictures traffic.

This in turn means that "sending encrypted traffic" or "using good
crypto" no longer marks one as suspicious.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA