[Cryptography] EFF amicus brief in support of Apple

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sun Mar 6 23:56:24 EST 2016

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 03/06/2016 07:33 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > The tenor of such comments is always "there's a silver bullet here,
> > and it is open systems". Well, no, sadly, there are no silver
> > bullets. Security is hard,

> It is possible that a profit center can be identified outside
> of selling customer data to advertisers.  Such a profit center
> could bring the security interests of software providers into
> alignment with those of people who want to secure their
> personal data.

In terms of business models Apple has two big cash
moving operations.   iTunes and Apple Pay.

,,,,,
> I'm calling zero.  But anyway, with governments generally
> against the network "going dark", we can expect that any
> business model that involves securing personal data will
> be strongly discouraged in many jurisdictions and that those
> entities will not be interested in telling each other or
> us what holes in security they have created.

Banking... is such a business model. International banking
has established needs for secure transactions and validation
of source and destinations.

More and more a phone has replaced the checkbook and
credit card.   Multi part authentication is required in more
and more facilities and systems including government
systems.

Seals or a "chop" may be a better model for a digital signature.
http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/mastering-the-chinese-chop-system/
http://sme.amcham-shanghai.org/en/faq/what-meant-legal-%E2%80%9Cchop%E2%80%9D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature

--