[Cryptography] Side channel attack on OpenSSL ECDSA on iOS and Android

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Fri Mar 4 17:30:59 EST 2016

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 12:34:50 -0800
John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:

> I also note that a very recent update to Ubuntu's OpenSSL package
> provided more constant-time modexp implementations:
>
>     * SECURITY UPDATE: side channel attack on modular exponentiation
>     - debian/patches/CVE-2016-0702.patch: use constant-time
> calculations in crypto/bn/asm/x86_64-mont5.pl, crypto/bn/bn_exp.c,
>       crypto/perlasm/x86_64-xlate.pl, crypto/constant_time_locl.h.
>     - CVE-2016-0702

This is a different issue called cachebleed. Their webpage and paper is
here:
https://ssrg.nicta.com.au/projects/TS/cachebleed//

It suffered a bit from lack of attention because it was published at
the same time as DROWN. It's quite interesting research (although
honestly I don't understand large parts of it).

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno at hboeck.de