[Cryptography] Proposal of a fair contract signing protocol

mok-kong shen mok-kong.shen at t-online.de
Thu Jun 23 03:35:38 EDT 2016

Am 23.06.2016 um 09:13 schrieb mok-kong shen:
> Am 23.06.2016 um 08:50 schrieb Ron Garret:
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2016, at 11:41 PM, mok-kong shen
>> <mok-kong.shen at t-online.de> wrote:

> [snip]

>>> I don't think so. In step 1 Alice only commits to X
>>
>> No.  She also "promises to sign Y”.  Whether you call it a “promise”
>> or a “commitment” is irrelevant.  Alice is still bound by Bob’s
>> decision to sign.
>
> Sorry, I don't yet understand you. That promise (or commitment) is
> "conditioned" on Bob's commitment on C (his acceptance of Alice's
> proposal, he may refuse that). To see this point of mine: If I promise
> to give as present $10000 to someone if tomorrow the sun rises on the
> west, would that even be a promise or commitment at all?

[Addendum:] Each contract proposal by Alice must be of the nature that
if Bob agrees within a short period then everything runs as stated (i.e.
Alice is bound). Otherwise the proposal is nothing. Alice could
actually also add a sentence reserving her right to cancel the proposal
at anytime before getting Bob's acceptance in T. (This could be useful
e.g. for one selling a rare book which he has only a single copy.)

M. K. Shen