[Cryptography] Verisimilitrust

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jan 12 04:57:11 EST 2016

Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> writes:

>Selective quoting for the win. It also says:
>
>"We maintain an internal list of crawled CRLs. The CRLs from that set go to
>make up the published CRLSet. For size reasons, the list doesn't include all
>CRLs - EV CRLs and CRLs with good reason codes are taken in preference. CRLs
>which cover intermediates are typically small and valuable so we try to take
>as many as possible."

Which doesn't change in any way what I said:

  Provide revocation info for certs - No, the browser vendor will.

The browser vendor is providing revocation info via the CRLSet.  The CA's
revocation information, CRLs and OCSP, are ignored ("Online (i.e. OCSP and
CRL) checks are not, generally, performed by Chrome").  The browser is relying
on the browser vendor, not the CA, to obtain its revocation information.

I don't know how many more ways I can rephrase this, perhaps the following
will help:

  Browser downloads CRL from CA and checks it -> CA "provides revocation info
  for certs"

  Browser downloads CRLSet from browser vendor and checks it -> Browser vendor
  "provides revocation info for certs".

In this case it's clearly the browser vendor providing the revocation
information.  To put it another way, if the CA goes away, the revocation info
still gets to the browser.  If the browser vendor goes away, the revocation
info doesn't get to the browser any more ("CRL/OCSP checks are not
performed").

Peter.