[Cryptography] On the false choice between privacy and security

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Feb 19 17:56:41 EST 2016

On 19/02/16 22:43, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> This is not about security vs. privacy. We're talking about nothing
> less than deranged short-term thinking that privileges the convenience
> of a small part of the machinery of law enforcement over the safety of
> almost everyone in our entire society.

Well said.

I'm not sure I'd 100% agree with "deranged" though, I think a part of it
is that law enforcement folks are scared to revisit the traditional set
of requirements that they've posed for interception since they know
that a rational analysis of those in today's network, done in the open,
would likely lead to very different conclusions as to what's ok and
what's not. Personally, I think such a requirements analysis could be
very interesting, but seems unlikely.

Cheers,
S.