[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Joshua Marpet joshua.marpet at guardedrisk.com
Fri Dec 23 22:02:59 EST 2016

Grarpamp,

I respect that you think I need to have my head examined.

Perhaps we should say that to the use cases I formulated, strong crypto
isn't necessary. If you wish to extend a use case, to include on-device
secure storage of photos and video, then yeah, I would agree that strong
crypto is required. Your inclusion of archiving personal materials is NOT
in the use cases I postulated. It is also not in the use cases postulated
in the original article, I believe. We are talking about protecting photos
and video from authorities, either secular, religious, or by the "might is
right" rule.

 But hey, let's extend and embrace before we extinguish. . Photos or video
stored on the device are a wonderful way to archive my tax returns or your
sex tape, and should be encrypted strongly. Agreed.

However, I would say that anyone who stores
controversial/newsworthy/going-to-cause-you-trouble photos or video on a
device, and carries that device around, is asking for trouble, and should
have their head examined. The phone can get snatched, it is a specifically
targeted asset, it can be used to track you. etc. "But when there's no
internet, what do you do!!?!?!?!?!!!11Eleventy-one1111!!" You use a wifi
enabled device to take the stills and video off your original device, and
get it in the mail, or the hands of a courier. All they have to do is get
the damn thing to an internet cafe. or Dead drop it. or Cache it.
Something!  It's elemental tradecraft.

I didn't write this email for a couple of days so I could calmly read this
thread again. I read a lot more than I post, because I am here to learn. I
try to be polite, courteous, and respectful. That's a hint.

Thank you.