[Cryptography] Photojournalists & filmmakers want cameras, to be encrypted

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Dec 23 16:29:49 EST 2016

> ...I would have wanted to put the camera into a mode where it would take pictures but never show them (without some key that was not resident in the camera
> or its media)...
I never thought of it this way before, but curiously ... iOS has almost exactly such a mode:  You can take photos from the lock screen, without first unlocking the phone.  This begins a "photo session" that continues until you return to the lock screen (quick press on the top button does it).  You can scroll back and examine or even delete any photos taken within a session; but older ones are inaccessible.

Once a session ends, none of its photos are accessible unless you unlock the phone.

Oh, and the phone can also be configured to upload automatically to the Apple cloud if it has a connection.  Whether that's a plus or a minus depends on the situation.

Uploading is something Android phones do, too, of course; I don't know if they have similar "take pictures from lock screen" functionality.

                                                        -- Jerry