[Cryptography] What standards are there for post-quantum certificates?

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Sat Apr 9 16:08:43 EDT 2016

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:13:43 -0700
Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> What standards are there for post-quantum certificates? Can't find
> any.

None.

Generally the answer is just we aren't there yet. The research in
pqcrypto is currently at the algorithm level. There's no agreement
what algorithms will prevail and in what direction to go.
Certificates are a very highlevel use case of crypto. You're asking for
step 3 while we're just starting with step 1.

(There is a more than a decade old draft for NTRU which also includes
some info on how to use it in X.509:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/51/I-D/draft-ietf-tls-ntru-00.txt
It never made it past draft status. It's controversial whether ntru is
a useful algorithm for the postquantum future.)

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno at hboeck.de