[Cryptography] Other obvious issues being ignored?

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Wed Oct 21 02:03:18 EDT 2015

Let's combine two ideas from different posts:

Arnold Reinhold writes about "the list of issues the cryptographic community
knows about, but keeps ignoring"

John Denker writes in addition to the list:

> There exist "secure messaging" apps, but they seem at the
> moment limited to a rather small niche market ... which
> might make them worse than nothing, insofar as using them
> raises red flags.

While ordinary users want the digital land of milk and honey *that works*,
there is no clear threat model for the assumed solution.
While on the other hand, the attempts to reduce complexity and to work with
a realistic threat model are bound to small niche markets if not entirely
ignored, we have all the ingredients for a perfect recipe to make sure,
we'll remain in this situation.

       --ralf