[Cryptography] Collisions w/SHA-1 ~$100,000 TODAY

Bart Preneel bart.preneel at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Oct 12 13:11:34 EDT 2015

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015, Philipp Jovanovic wrote:

>> I guess the next question would be, how long we expect the freestart
>> limitation to last as a meaningful barrier to full SHA1 collision
>> attacks.
>
> To provide some perspective:
>
> - 1996: Dobbertin publishes the first free-start collisions on MD5 [1]
> - 2004: Wang et. all present the first true collision on MD5 [2]

To provide a slightly broader perspective:

Bert den Boer, Antoon Bosselaers:
Collisions for the Compression Function of MD5. EUROCRYPT 1993: 293-304
(these collisions also give free start collisions for MD5, but with the
same message and two different IVs).
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F3-540-48285-7_26

Dobbertin's work finds collisions for a single IV that is different from
the IV of the MD5 specs (semi-free start collision)

Free-start and semi-freestart collision attacks have
been defined in
Xuejia Lai, James L. Massey:
Hash Function Based on Block Ciphers. EUROCRYPT 1992: 55-70
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F3-540-47555-9_5

--Bart