[Cryptography] Unencrypted SMS

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Nov 21 20:38:15 EST 2015

On 11/20/2015 11:10 PM, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> I thought I had heard on the radio that the French law
> enforcement had also found blueprint or some sort of
> detailed layout of the concert hall on it saved as unencrypted
> images. And between that and that they found it discarded
> in a trash bin, they concluded that it belonged to one of the
> terrorists.

Ah.  THAT is crucial information that links the phone much more
strongly with the attacks.  That, taken together with the message,
is MUCH more specific and incriminating than the text message
alone.

Still not enough to stand up as evidence in court though;
a map of the place isn't useful or desirable ONLY to people
planning an attack.  But it's pretty strong for merely
circumstantial evidence, and very likely to be a very
relevant clue.

Thank you for the additional info.