[Cryptography] Burner phone == One Time (i)Pad

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 20 05:46:44 EST 2015

Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> writes:

>What's the most important criterion for a burner phone?  It should be
>*cheap*; only the most well-heeled terrorists would use an iPhone as a
>burner.

Based on the recent terrorists-and-encryption media panic, I should point out
that burner phones aren't only used by terrorists.  A friend of mine works for
a women's shelter and they're a large consumer of burner phones, means of
communication that can't be turned into covert tracking/monitoring devices by
abusive exes.  A cellular carrier recently ran a special offer where you could
get a phone plus $20 credit for $20, they bought an entire store's stock in
one go.

There was some debate over whether they should send one of the guys with
middle-eastern looks down to pick up a case full of what were obviously going
to be used as burner phones...

Peter.