[Cryptography] Is there a good algorithm providing both compression and encryption at the same time?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 11 06:09:07 EDT 2015

Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net> writes:

>It depends on the application. If it uses fixed length message, e.g., 20
>milliseconds of audio, then using variable length compression is very
>revealing.

Sure, I'm aware of over two dozen papers on this topic (discussing the ability
to identify spoken phrases, language used, video content for movie streaming,
web site browsing patterns, e.g. which tax bracket you're in based on which
pages on tax sites you visit, and so on), but as I said it depends on whether
the user considers this a problem or not, and by and large the masses (which
includes companies, banks, government organisations, and so on, not just Joe
Sixpack at home) don't.  Skype is in a particularly bad spot here with their
use of encryption because the vast majority of users don't care whether it's
encrypted or not (they just want free calling over the Internet), and those
who really care about encrypted phonecalls typically won't use Skype because
they let governments listen in.

Peter.