[Cryptography] Rotor wiring on the Enigma

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Feb 24 11:25:59 EST 2015

How was the wiring on the various rotors determined?  It would be too
dangerous to do it randomly, as one rotor could undo another, and none of
my texts seem to go into this.

Also, I'd like to find a concise description on how the M-209 Hagelin
worked, with its interlocking lugs etc.  Kahn (2nd ed) goes into so much
detail that I could practically build one, but that doesn't help me
understand it in the same way that I could tell at a glance how the Enigma
worked, (and could probably explain it in one sentence).

Thanks.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)