[Cryptography] Understanding state can be important.

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Dec 29 16:25:19 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> At 09:05 AM 12/25/2015, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> >State considered harmful
> >A proposal for a stateless laptop
> >Joanna Rutkowska
> >December 2015
> >
> >http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/state_harmful.pdf
>
> Here's the link to the video of Joanna's 63-minute talk; it's pretty
> interesting.
>

> http://50.21.181.236/congress/2015/webm-hd/32c3-7352-en-de-Towards_reasonably_trustworthy_x86_laptops_webm-hd.webm

Thanks for the video link.

In the last min or so she has a slide advocating "human & civil rights".
I would add to it:  "National, human, & civil rights" to gain worthy
traction.

The security of modern nations and our modern life style depends on
reliable and secure infrastructure.  We have a lot of infrastructure that
depends on computers.
We can discuss targets like "illegal" uranium enrichment as being
fair game targets but if the controller tech is the same for lights, water,
sewer,
road signals, bridges, navigation, medical care, refrigeration of food in
transit,
manufacturing, industrial, trade and national secrets troubling attacks are
too easy
to implement.

Her talk did highlight "secrets" that China and others may wish to have
control over.
Once disclosed both good and bad things become possible.
Some of these secrets may be out and in the hands of agents already.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l