[Cryptography] Nervous Nellies want to gut the First Amendment

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 29 12:20:30 EST 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-28 at 17:45 -0800, Tom Mitchell wrote:

> The internet is new in that it allows the shouting of an alarm in
> virtually all theaters in all time zones from any timezone.

...and everyone knows this and therefore adjusts their sensitivity to
Internet postings.  There is a pretty well-developed notion among the
general public that skepticism is the default for things said online.

> SInce the internet has international reach how does the constitution
> apply...

It does not apply, end of discussion.  US law, including the
constitution, ends at the US border.  This is a common source of
confusion for my fellow Americans, which is why US passports have to
include a page reminding people of that fact.

-- Ben