[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Dec 22 16:45:49 EST 2015

On 12/21/15 at 7:26 PM, mitch at niftyegg.com (Tom Mitchell) wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM, Patrick Chkoreff <patrick at rayservers.net>
>wrote:
>>Right, or use a set of 16-sided dice.  I bought some a few years ago.
>>

>Why 16-side?
>N-sides allows base N and conversion to any other interesting base would be
>easy.
>The only constraint is the dice needs to have sufficient symmetry that any
>outcome
>is equal to any other OR the distribution is well enough understood that
>adjustments
>can be noted and compensated for (coin lands on an edge).

I wanted to use random chance in a knitting pattern I was
building, so I tossed a coin. I quickly gave up on the coin when
I discovered that my tosses were quite biased. I moved to using /dev/random.

Even with a reasonably unbiased item like a coin, getting random
tosses can be hard.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Airline peanut bag: "Produced  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | in a facility that processes   | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | peanuts and other nuts." - Duh | Los Gatos,
CA 95032