[Cryptography] Talk on encryption to non-crypto audience ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Dec 12 20:11:02 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be giving a technical talk on
> crypto to non-crypto people.  These are
> scientists & engineers, but not computer
> scientists or mathematicians.

This is a lot like communicating parallel processing to a group.
My favorite anchor is money and the family checkbook.

It (money) addresses a lot of the why without opening the door
to criminal activities like spy, war..

Digital signatures.. checks have signatures.
Family checkbooks have two writers and a single balance.
Bank routing... the numbers in the upper right.
Deposit to the correct bank... payment to the wrong account.
Fair financial secrets to keep you from being targeted by distant criminals.

The patent application process where a design and patent is secret
until approved.  If intercepted by another nation a false application could
be initiated
in one or more other nations.

The vast majority of the world is honest and needs tools for safety
and commerce.   Law enforcement can have blinders on and ignore
the next 5000 crimes when this one has a hook.

Military APO routing. One address is not secret yet the large
collections of them is highly classified.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l