[Cryptography] Anyone else seen some odd shipping delays?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 4 18:37:04 EST 2015

On 12/04/2015 09:31 AM, Thierry Moreau wrote:

> For minimally related feedback, a shipment for a box equipped with wired
> and wireless interfaces had neat bar code labels on the outside of the
> box for the MAC addresses of both interfaces. I guess this is useful for
> feeding a database of [MAC address to customer shipment details] for
> mass surveillance support.

Now *there* is a wrinkle I hadn't noticed yet.

I'm aware that every package which goes through the mail
(and several commercial shippers as well) is photographed
and the photos are archived "forever" digitally.  I had been
thinking of it in terms of "metadata" tracking - address and
return address, etc.

But if the MAC addresses are barcoded on the outside of
shipping boxes, those archived photos enable a whole different
degree of later traffic tracking, don't they?

Anybody received a computer or network hardware lately and
still have the packaging?  Any barcodes that don't normally
appear on other packages?

				Bear