[Cryptography] SHA-3 FIPS-202: no SHAKE512 but SHAKE128; confusing SHAKE security

Jonathan Berliner jonathan.berliner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:58:34 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:31 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> On 5/08/2015 22:41 pm, Michal Bozon wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>> There is new fresh FIPS-202 standardizing SHA-3.
>

> It would be useful if someone more informed could post the proper URLs for
> this.  This is what DuckDuckGo MITM'd for me:
>
> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips-202/fips_202_draft.pdf
>
> but croogleanalysis says it might be this one:
>
> http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/FIPS/NIST.FIPS.202.pdf
>
> I don't think it is this one, which is not revised to include Keccak
> although it is advertised as revised:
>
> http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/FIPS/NIST.FIPS.180-4.pdf
>

> iang

This is the official announcement on the Federal Register:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/08/05/2015-19181/announcing-approval-of-federal-information-processing-standard-fips-202-sha-3-standard

This is the official latest FIPS document:
http://dx.doi.org/10.6028/NIST.FIPS.202

This is the official NIST announcement at the Hash Forum listserv:

FYI – NIST announces FIPS 202 (the SHA-3 Standard) and FIPS 180-4 in
the Federal Register today.  Please see the Federal Register Notice
for details and for NIST’s comment resolutions for DRAFT FIPS 202 and
DRAFT FIPS 180-4.

FIPS 202, SHA-3 Standard: Permutation-Based Hash and Extendable-Output Functions

August 5, 2015

NIST published a Federal Register Notice, 80 FR 46543, on August 5,
2015 announcing the approval of FIPS 202, SHA-3 Standard:
Permutation-Based Hash and Extendable-Output Functions, and a Revision
of the Applicability Clause of FIPS 180-4, Secure Hash Standard.

FIPS 202 specifies the SHA-3 family of hash functions, as well as
mechanisms for other cryptographic functions to be specified in the
future.  The revision to the Applicability Clause of FIPS 180-4
approves the use of hash functions specified in either FIPS 180-4 or
FIPS 202 when a secure hash function is required for the protection of
sensitive, unclassified information in Federal applications, including
as a component within other cryptographic algorithms and protocols.

For details on NIST’s cryptographic hash project, please refer to this
page:    http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/index.html

For details on the SHA-3 standardization effort, please refer to this
page:  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/sha-3_standardization.html.