[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8?

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:16:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 10:52 -0700, ianG wrote:

> (Although, the breach of the intelligence firewall between IC and the
> police/civilian agencies is by far the most troubling thing of the
> post-snowden era.  It is that breach of democratic faith that makes the
> NSA the enemy of humanity.)

Unfortunately there are some who see no problem with this aspect of the
leaks.  In the USA we still have a lot of law-and-order/tough-on-crime
types who view civil rights as an obstacle to public safety rather than
as a protection.  There is still a lot of pressure on the police to do
more to keep everyone safe from criminals and terrorists.

It does not help that people feel less safe now than they did when crime
rates were much higher:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150464/americans-believe-crime-worsening.aspx

-- Ben