[Cryptography] new wiretap resistance in iOS 8

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Thu Sep 18 01:30:44 EDT 2014

Quoting from the new iOS 8 privacy policy announced
tonight Wed Sep 17.

> Apple has no way to decrypt iMessage and FaceTime data when it’s in
> transit between devices. So unlike other companies’ messaging
> services, Apple doesn’t scan your communications, and we wouldn’t be
> able to comply with a wiretap order even if we wanted to.

  https://www.apple.com/privacy/privacy-built-in/

This is new.

This is widely being interpreted as payback for
 a) NSA attacks against Apple,
 b) wiretap orders that Apple considers overly broad, and
 c) lack of adequate legal process to challenge wiretap orders.

I reckon we are now all set for a reprise of the Clipper-chip
wars of the mid-1990s.  Legislation will be introduced to
compel manufacturers to cripple their crypto.  Opponents will
argue that when privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have
privacy.  They will also bring up international competitiveness
issues.  And superencryption.  And so on.