[Cryptography] 1023 nails in the coffin of 1024 RSA...

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Mon Oct 6 17:57:35 EDT 2014

ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> (some skepticism about whether this there is really a break in OpenSSL,
> but the rumour mill will no doubt throw mud on the 1024 bit part as well...)

> OpenSSL bug allows RSA 1024 key factorization in 20 minutes
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/crypto/comments/2i9qke/openssl_bug_allows_rsa_1024_key_factorization_in/
>
> Supposedly.

The author just admitted

"Ok, so I took some missteps during my research. Excellent talk with
@julianor, he gave me some pointers that put me...(1/2)"
https://twitter.com/camicelli/status/519231503260467200

"...in the right direction in my investigation. One thing is certain. It
is definitely NOT an OpenSSL vuln. (2/2)"
https://twitter.com/camicelli/status/519231538589085696

@julianor tweeted:
"talked with @camicelli :isn't OpenSSL bug, he thought with enough
hardware he can make a list of every 512b prime.Demo's priv key was
known"
https://twitter.com/julianor/status/519230526029570048

-Jan