[Cryptography] Third amendment crypto defenses

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Nov 7 17:40:49 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> At 11:46 AM 11/7/2014, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> >No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without
> >the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be
> >prescribed by law.

> >The NSA has been promoting its notion of 'cyberwarriors' performing
> >attacks. They have also been performing work for the FBI which lacks
> >the necessary skills

So a couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a Third Amendment case from Nevada
in which a family's home was literally seized and occupied by police
seeking a vantage point over their neighbor's home.
If the government places a surveillance device in your home,
Appelbaum goes as far as saying this practice is the digital equivalent of
soldiers being stationed in our homes without our permission and against
our will.
== context above frp, Phillip and Henry... lots of snips ==

Not just placing an agent but placing a device acting as remote proxy for a
remote agent.   Also the hacking of a device in the home: a computer, a
router
is illegal but farms of robots seem to be maintained by TLAs

Commandeering a home because they "like" the vantage point is astoundingly
grey.
Today surveillance is often undertaken many connections away from the
alleged
criminal.  This alone could find almost all of America as targets given the
depth
of meta data analysis.  What are the odds you live one additional degree of
indirection
from "targets".    Consider the connections that this mailing list
establishes!  Are all
our neighbors homes subject to occupancy because they live in a location
that
facilitates electronic surveillance.

The hacking of a home router could be via a proxy  i.e. Xfinity could
instal specific
software based on a secret warrant.   They already install questionable
services that
they do not itemize but sell.   Some %% of the AC power for a router is
stolen to provide that
service.  Since they sell and contract that service it is very questionable.

On the surface the police in Nevada have violated a protection enumerated in
the Constitution.   As a minimum any evidence gathered should be excluded.
Those involved -- may need examination in detail by a TLA... what if the
instigator
was a foreign agent intent on the destruction of the rule of law or simply
home grown terror agent?

  T o m    M i t c h e l l