[Cryptography] BLAKE2: “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” Than MD5

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Sat Mar 22 00:41:43 EDT 2014

Hello people of cryptography at metzdowd.com:

I just wrote a blog post advocating for the use of BLAKE2 instead of
MD5 or SHA1:

https://leastauthority.com/blog/BLAKE2-harder-better-faster-stronger-than-MD5.html

Part of the impetus for the invention of BLAKE2 was the observation
that waggling our fingers and telling engineers to "stop doing that!"
wasn't having that much effect — see
https://blake2.net/acns/slides.html for a list of ongoing users of MD5
and SHA1, including NIST's computer forensics division.

Of course, *you* didn't need to be told not to use MD5 or SHA1. You
might be more interested in the part of my blog post where I compare
BLAKE2 to Keccak and Skein.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep