[Cryptography] How can I make use of the AES hardware on new CPUs?

Bear bear at sonic.net
Sun Mar 16 23:41:49 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 08:30 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Bear wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 18:21 -0700, Bear wrote:
> > > I am writing some software for which I would like to take advantage
> > > of the built-in AES instructions supposedly now included in AMD64
> > > CPUs.
> >
> > Just wanted to say thanks to those who gave me pointers.  Much
> > appreciated.
>
> Err, given recent threads, why would you trust the silicon? :-)

I only "mostly" trust the silicon.  What I'm writing will
do bisimulation about 1% of the time to make sure the
dedicated and non-dedicated silicon come up with the same
answers.

If there is any broad class of keys or ciphertexts on which
they do not, then that will be an interesting thing to know --
and will become visible as heralded by the appearance of an
error message, which I will get calls about.

			Bear