[Cryptography] cheap sources of entropy

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Tue Jan 21 03:13:16 EST 2014

Bill Frantz wrote:
> Note that paper and human voting systems have been successfully
> attacked. My favorite attack occurred in Chicago in the mid-20th
> century. Ballot counters from one party glued pencil leads under
> their fingernails. When they counted a ballot for the "wrong"
> candidate, they marked an X for the correct candidate as well,
> thereby invalidating the ballot.

However -- and very much *unlike* electronic voting systems -- given
opposition-party scruitineers watching the counting process (and by
"watching" I mean literally looking over the shoulders of the ballot
counters), it's very hard to do such an attack on a *large scale* in
*secret*.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA