[Cryptography] TAO, NSA crypto backdoor program

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Jan 2 02:10:26 EST 2014

On 2/01/14 00:30 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
>  The question is whether or not it's naive to think
> it's just the NSA, it should be the CIA too sometimes. Perhaps even a
> company on a rare occasion.

It's a CSS catalogue, from the division that is responsible for securing
all the government agencies.  I am guessing that the products are
available for anyone who's got a close relationship.  Definitely CIA and
military, especially special forces.  The NSA is supposed to be a
non-active entity, it doesn't do the interventions, it more or less has
to work in concert with others, but its incidental expertise in high
tech makes it by accident the most likely partner in developing the tech.

So this catalogue probably goes to all Homeland agencies as well, think
DEA, FBI, USSS, etc, although they would likely not be given the best
toys except in high profile cases.

It is interesting to look at the classifications as well.  The GSM copy
equipment is Secret whereas most of the other stuff is TS.  Only a few
of the toys are 5-eyes, most is REL TO US only.  But I'd say that there
is a lot of quiet sharing goes on with GCHQ and maybe others than is
indicated by the REL classification...

iang