[Cryptography] Now it's personal -- Belgian cryptographer MITM'd by GCHQ/NSA

Erwan Legrand erwan.legrand at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 06:17:39 EST 2014

This caught my attention as I followed a cryptography course taught by
Jean-Jacques Quisquater back in the nineties.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> On 2/02/14 04:33 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> Why assume that its the NSA/GCHQ?
>
> Because the Belgians are saying it is, and because the Snowden
> revelations pointed at a persistent attack of the indicated parties.

I watched some bits of an interview of Jean-Jacques Quisquater. The
malware which has infected his computer is "MiniDuke" which was also
used in attacks against European governments last year.

He did say that the NSA is behind this, although as far as I know he
did not say why he thinks so. He said he and others have been working
with the mathematicians of the NSA and at the same time the NSA was
working against them.

Another thing he said is he believes the reason why he has been
targeted is he has been providing security consultancy to firms.

Thus the motive behind all this could well be so called "intellectual
property theft".
--
Erwan