[Cryptography] North Korea and Sony

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sat Dec 13 08:19:19 EST 2014

On Dec 12, 2014, at 6:31 PM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:
>> BTW, it's this repurposing of the user ID mechanism that makes it complicated to support multiple users on devices running these OS's.
>
> I think Polaris dynamically added UserIDs as needed. I don't see how that would interfere with having two or more users on a machine, as long as the "real" users had different names from the shadow IDs, and that could be done with a naming convention.
You end up with a user id for every user/program pair, as you certainly don't want to move inter-user controls into each program.  With only a single user, the classic suid mechanism grants the right access to a program while it's running; with multiple users, you'll need something more elaborate.

Certainly not impossible, just much more complicated.

                                                        -- Jerry