[Cryptography] Bletchley P. mentioned in an odd place

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Dec 1 22:29:02 EST 2014

OK, I'm on the far side of 60, so I read "oldies" stuff, but this one
caught my eye.  Published in "The Senior", a free local paper in NSW/ACT
Australia, there is a short story on Bletchley Park; I can't find an URL
anywhere.

As many as 4,000 messages decoded per day (key changed at midnight), up to
9,000 people working there etc, at a reunion a husband and wife discovered
that they'd both worked for "Station X" as it was known, all the good
names.

Enigma is mentioned (and its unfortunate property of never encoding a
letter into itself, along with the plugboard etc), the Lorenz gets a
mention, all the good stuff.

A classic quote: ``So quick were they at decoding the messages between
Adolf Hitler and his generals, it is said that by 1945, it would have been
easier for Himmler or Guering[sic] to ring Bletchley Park to obtain the
Fuhrer's orders than wait for them to be deciphered at their own
headquarters.''

Brilliant stiff for the senior set (it was in the Travel section, after
all).

I'll do my damnedest to locate an URL, otherwise I'll scan it and put it
on my page.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)