[Cryptography] On 40-bit encryption

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:31:52 EDT 2014

Iang,
> There was an article printed in I think _Foreign Affairs_ from a long
> time ago that was found and referenced by (IIRC) Ross Anderson by some
> crypto warriors.
>
> In there was an anecdote about the games they played with the South
> Africans.  They stopped crypto exports to them.  But then the South
> Africans started developing an indigenous capability.  So the NSA opened
> up the crypto exports again in order to squash the local companies.

Very interesting. This actually explain how Thawte come to existance.

Apartheid came to an end around 1993. Thawte was started around 1995. Its
there likely to assume most of the research he needed to start Thawte was
done under sanctions as he felt he had a market with zero competition.

> ps; if anyone can find that article, please post.  It's a great view of
> the inside tactics.

+1
Would be a very good read.

William