[Cryptography] Encryption opinion

Jorge Perdomo jp at gotenna.com
Thu Aug 14 15:38:12 EDT 2014

Hello cryptography experts,

I am the co-founder of goTenna, a small startup in Brooklyn that is
developing a product that is intended to allow resilient decentralized and
*encrypted* communications for people using smartphones regardless of
central connectivity.

We launched publicly a few weeks ago with the plans of using 1024-bit RSA
for our encryption, but have received a lot of complaints from people
telling us that RSA wasn't safe and whatnot.  I'm not an expert, but
through our research we felt like 1024RSA for a 160 character text message
was plenty strong, but we could be wrong.

Our team has started looking into other options, and we found some kind of
elliptic curve cryptography that seems like it would be stronger, while
also keeping our packet sizes as small as possible (critical!).  Before we
start building any of this custom though, I was hoping we might be able to
get the opinion of some of your in the cryptography community.

If anyone would be willing to chat with us, please shoot me a note at
jp at gotenna.com - it would also be helpful if you could give me a brief
description of your background/expertise.  We're not looking for massive
involvement, but maybe just a brief phone call to make sure that what we
end up implementing will indeed keep people safe.

​Thank you so much,
Jorge

--
co-Founder, *go*Tenna