[Cryptography] Open Source developer employment agreements, was: Cue the blamestorming

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Tue Apr 22 00:43:00 EDT 2014

> Message du 22/04/14 05:54
> De : "Tom Mitchell"
>
> Schools....
> Schools have the notion of peer reviewed publications.
> Schools that teach programming should publish programs.
>
> Yes it is serious work if you intend to accomplish something
> important but in the spirit of Unix we do not need large
> chunks of code we do need relentless improvement.
>
> Yes a counter example is X11
>
> Teach literate programming.
>
> We have things like Coverity's analysis of code
> professors could take on each small pile and
> polish or fix existing code where possible or publish
> productive reviews.
>
> Hiring managers could then rate schools based on
> bug fixes and other obvious to me metrics.
>
> One programmer I respect spent months reviewing
> a massive pile of company generated and open source
> code before jumping in.

Aren't there professors in the humanities that give points if their pupils steer debate to this or that PC direction?

Something like that could be applied to code. Professors of compilers, networking, databases and other subjects could give points based on correction commits (not new features) done by their students.